Wednesday, November 7, 2012


Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It Can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.

First let me say, this cover is hands down one of the best of the year. It's beautiful and haunting and literally made me stop in my tracks while roaming Barnes & Noble.  So, anyways, I've read some other reviews on this and it was really mixed. Some peopled loved it and some people just thought it was a little weird or to far out there. Sure, the alligators was a little weird but, for me, it all made sense. The idea of the story was original and new and fresh.

Mara is my kind of girl. She's smart and sassy and if she were a real person, I'd want to be friends with her. I love that when she met Noah, she held her own against him. Their relationship from the very beginning was full of tension- the good kind. The obvious physical attraction was there from the start but the back and forth quick dialog they shared is the thing I love most about them. It made the relationship feel real and allowed it to build. None of that love at first sight, forever til death do us part from the first meeting crap here. The fact that she hated him so much from the start makes me want to high five her. 

But be aware, this was one of those stories that I read with the lights on. All night. The strange and completely scary things that happen to poor Mara were totally frightening and if they were to ever happen to me, I doubt I'd ever come out of hiding.  

All in all, I loved, loved, loved this. It was well written and perfectly paced with just enough questions left unanswered to keep me coming back. I finished the second in the trilogy, "The Evolution of Mara Dyer" last night so if I can find the time tonight, I'll get that review up.

4.5 bookmarks out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment